Friday, November 30, 2012

Online apps


I have used Google Docs for word processing before, but I have not really messed around with its spreadsheets, so I figured now is as good a time as ever!  Being a physics teacher (and having taking numerous physics classes in undergrad) I have used Excel for a variety of things.  I even made a spreadsheet for my college job that would automatically update the needed orders and used conditional formatting to highlight when we were running low on filters.  From what I have been able to see so far, Google Docs spreadsheets seem to be quite capable of everything I typically use spreadsheets for.  Various equations work well, including basic if-then statements, and conditional formatting seems pretty easy.  One odd thing that I have found so far is if I want to subtract the value of one cell from another, I cannot simply click on the first cell, hit the “-“ and then select the second cell.  It just replaces the first cell!  Works fine for addition, multiplication, and division, just not subtraction.  Weird.
            Overall, it looks like a rather solid spreadsheet editor.  Have not been able to see if it can handle macros, but Microsoft Excel cannot handle them as well as it used to, either.

            I do not believe I have ever used an online image editor before, so I didn’t really know what to expect.  I have used Photoshop a little before, and I also use GIMP, an open source Photoshop-replacement.  Most of the editing that I have done using Photoshop and GIMP could be done in PicMonkey.  That is, things like rotating, cropping, adjusting some colors, etc., were pretty easy in PicMonkey.  I like the overall layout of the site, with the left toolbar providing several different sub-menus.  Some of the tools were fairly common, and some were things that you would never see labeled as such in a professional editing program.  For example, to the best of my knowledge, there are no options for specifically highlighting your hair or giving yourself a spray-tan (though, may I say, it made a picture of me taken last winter look much more summery).  From what I can see, it kind of “dumbs down” some of the more common uses of professional programs so that we non-professionals can easily do the basics without having to know much or do much research.
I have had a chance to use GIMP for more complex uses such as merging layers, setting alpha levels, and adjusting transparency of layers.  From what I can tell, these options are not available in PicMonkey.  But, honestly, for the average user, how many of us really need to do these tasks?  The only reason I did these tasks is because I was bored in the summer and wanted to customize our school’s logo for my classroom site.  For the average user, such as myself, it looks as though PicMonkey can accomplish most of the tasks we would need.

No comments:

Post a Comment