Thursday, November 29, 2012

E-Learning


            Having supervised students taking online classes, the “Technics vs. Trucks” section struck home with me.  Most of the online learning we have used at our school if for students who need to make up credits.  The authors quoted Clark as stating that forms of instruction through technology “do not influence student achievement any more than the truck that delivers our groceries causes changes in our nutrition.”  In some instances, this is true.  Some online classes are simply the digital equivalent of a teacher’s instruction, but without the option of interaction.  As a result, some students (often who did not perform well in the same subject in a normal classroom environment) do not perform well  in the online environment.  For such students, this type of online learning environment may only serve as the truck.  However, some students thrive in this learning environment.  They can set their own pace, and it is easier for them to review a topic as many times as they may need before moving on to the next topic.  Even though this style of online learning is more of a “truck” than others, it may be an effective method for some, falling in line with Kozma’s description of using media for learning.
            The description of  "The scenario of the solitary student working alone at her computer late into the night with little or no contact with her peers still exists, but many current and future learning systems will emphasize shared experience features" found on page 283 was what made me initially apprehensive about online learning.  One of the main reasons I went into teaching was for the interaction.  I enjoy working with students and seeing that “Aha!” moment when a student understands an aspect of the material because of something that they experienced in class.  Most of those moments that I have seen have been due to interactions between student and teacher or between students themselves.  I was worried that online learning would eliminate this option.  I have seen online learning where this is true, but I am beginning to see the value of online interactions.  As I am reading other people’s responses each week, it allows me to go back and re-read others views as well as allowing myself to take more time when working on a response.  While I do miss the opportunities the immediate back-and-forth communication of being in a physical classroom, I do enjoy that strengths of a flexible timeframe for online learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment