Sunday, September 23, 2012

Social Bookmarks Apparently Taste Good

http://delicious.com/dbrasser


            I have had a little experience in social bookmarking in the past, but I was more of a viewer than an active user.  When I first started teaching, our curriculum director shared links about my content and potential textbooks with me via Delicious.  I found this quite effective, considering the only alternative I could think of would be for her to send me links in emails, which would get annoying considering most people don’t find all the links they want at the same time and, thus, there would be many emails.
            One use for social bookmarking that would work well to my school specifically would be posting articles about our school and about our theme of aviation.  From time to time, especially considering we are a young school with a unique theme, there are news articles posted about our school and the changes we are making, so it would be nice to keep links to those all in one place.  Additionally, since most of our teachers come from a non-aviation background but are expected to integrate aviation into our classes as much as we can apply, social bookmarking would be a good place to post interesting resources that could relate to our theme and our content.
            I feel that probably the easiest and most natural use of social bookmarking in schools would be between teachers and student.  As I am looking more into the idea, I am finding that social bookmarking may be a very useful tool for my honors physics class.  Most of what we will be doing in that class will be the same as the regular physics sections, but there will be a lot more reading and writing relating current events to the topics we are studying.  Social bookmarking would allow for me to post options of articles that students can select to read and respond.
           
            More or less, the definitions laid out in the chapter on defining and naming the field line up with my views coming in.  There was really nothing that stuck out to me that made me think “That’s exactly my view!” or “That’s not at all what I’m thinking.”  Most of my feelings were more along the lines of “Yeah, that’s a good representation of (at least part of) my definition of instructional design and technology,” though I am going to have to force myself to get used to IDT title instead of IT.  I was quite pleased with the progress that has been made in the definition, moving from simply the processes and systematic approaches of the field and more toward involving the philosophies of using technology and the importance of the design of the uses of the tools as opposed to an emphasis on only the tools themselves.
            Additionally, I believe that even the most recent definition is nowhere near being the final definition.  Looking at the older definitions, the words used and the focus of the definitions was appropriate for the times and the resources available.  So too is the most recent definition.  As time goes by, and as technology and the needs of schools change, the definitions will continue to be reworked and shaped to better fit the situations at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment