Friday, September 7, 2012

Reformers and Luddites

            As the name of Charles M. Reigeluth and Roberto Joseph’s article, “Beyond technology integration: The case for technology transformation,” implies, they discuss the progress and importance of using technology in the classroom to transform how we teach.  With the change in the needs of our society, especially in terms of the types of jobs available, there is an obvious need to use our technology in ways to facilitate these needs efficiently.  As Reigeluth and Joseph describe, “assembly-line jobs have largely disappeared, and employers, even in the manufacturing sector, are now looking for people who can solve problems, take initiative, and offer diverse perspectives as part of teams.”  They relate this to the previous need for specializing in what (and, in some cases, whom) we teach to meet the specific needs of our culture to changing our schools to help shape all students to meet their full potential and not limit them to one specific path.
            I could not agree more with this aspect of Reigeluth and Joseph’s article.  With our every changing society, especially considering drastic changes seems to be happening at a higher rate than ever before, we need to help our students develop skills that can help them in a wide variety of areas.  Because we don’t know what the future will hold for our students, both years down the road and even next week, we cannot pre-sort our students for specific vocations.
            I do, however, tend to disagree with the apparent abruptness (or at least apparent to me) of their suggested transformation.  By saying “educators must recognize that using technology to support what they are already doing is not a productive course of action when compared to using technology to transform their teaching to a paradigm that is attainment-based rather than time-based,” they give off the feeling that some of the current actions teachers are doing have no benefit and their teaching needs to be totally transformed.  Other areas in the article are a little softer, and they may not have meant it as blunt as I am reading it, but I feel like the authors may be placing too much faith in the full application of technology in the classroom.  With the constant progress of technology, it can be hard to fully develop and implement effective uses of new technologies in the classroom.  I am hesitant to say that our old practices have no use in our current classrooms, and instead I feel that the old and the new should supplement each other.  Maybe that was the intended message of the authors and I lost that message as I neared the end of the article, but this more blunt statement toward the end makes me think that some may be jumping the gun and fully depending on some technologies that are still being developed.
            Neil Postman’s article “Of Luddites, Learning, and Life,” he puts a more negative spin on the progress of technology.  One sentence that I believe epitomizes his feelings states that “because the technologies are there, we often invent problems to justify our using them.”  And at the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeon (note: I am only 24 years old), I tend to agree with him…to a point.  I have experienced a variety of ways in which we use technology in the classroom for the sake of using technology, not necessarily for the sake of improving learning.  In addition, I’ve actually seen the overuse of technology harming our students’ learning.  I am a math teacher, and I tend to be an opponent of the use of calculators in the classroom.  Don’t get me wrong: calculators can do awesome things.  They make things easier to do and thus make efficient use of our time.  But I have come to find that the prevalence of calculators in the classroom has prevented students from learning some of the basics.  The calculator was invented by those that wanted to make a machine to reduce the time they spent solving problems on paper.  However, they could still do such problems on paper if they needed.  I have seen a scary number of students that immediately do any math problem they can on a calculator, which not only can slow them down for some of the simpler problems, but it also prevents them from actually knowing what is going on.  I even notice the effects of this in my own abilities.  My mother, a retired history teacher who admits to having difficulty in the math classes she took, can do a variety of math problems in her head faster than I can.  I graduated with a degree in mathematics, yet my history teacher mother can do head math faster than I can.  My guess: I used calculators early on in my learning process while she didn’t.  The calculator solved a problem of time, but may have also created a problem of not truly understanding concepts.  So before people begin to question why I am in the Educational Technology program, let me say this: I believe using technology is important for our progression as educators, but we also need to be sure we are not using technology in place of learning and understanding.
            I do find Postman’s question of “What is the problem to which the new technologies are the solution?” overly pessimistic.  Does every advancement have to solve a problem?  Is it really so bad if we make something that is already fairly fast faster?  Not every form of progress can or needs to solve a problem.  In fact, even if a new technology does not solve any problems currently, who is to say it won’t solve any future problems, or even lead to other developments that can solve any current or future problems?  Even if a new technology does not seem to have any apparent benefit at the moment, as long as it

No comments:

Post a Comment