Thursday, October 18, 2012

Podcasting


            I have watched many TED Talks before, mostly for only my own enjoyment.  In my searching, however, I found these TED Talks that were focused on education that I had never seen before.  One of my favorite things about TED Talks is that the ideas are usually quite revolutionary, but also practical (for the most part).  This holds true for their education podcasts.  Even though some of the podcasts that are from several years ago (the first one I watched was from 2006) still provide inspiration for the future of education.
            Podcasts can be useful in the classroom because students can have access to a wide variety of professionals as resources.  In many cases, podcasts provide a concise look into a topic, and is usually quite focused.  Podcasts allow easy access to a topic that is more than just words on a page, becoming a useful resource for students who are strong auditory and/or visual learners.
            One thing that does need to be considered is quality control.  The first TED Talk I listened to for this assignment was called “Open Source Learning,” and the speaker, Richard Baraniuk, emphasized this in our learning tools.  I have seen a wide variety of podcasts out there, and there are some things that would not be appropriate for classroom use (including some of the podcasts that were labeled as “educational”).  Additionally, we need to be mindful of the source of the content, paying attention to the credibility of those making the podcast as well as making sure credit is being given where credit was due (i.e. no plagiarizing).  The sources we provide to our students should live up to the same standards we set for the students themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment